Saturday, June 21, 2008

Sisters in Islam on Frontline

This last week has been such a busy mess.
I moved out of my house in Santa Cruz five days ago, turned 21 two days ago and am leaving for Malaysia in three.
There's no time to settle in, no time to live up my new "privileges," and no time to have second thoughts about what needs to get done.

And I've never been so nervous in my life. Whether I'm doing errands or seeing my friends, my stomach refuses to stop flipping over while I constantly daydream about Malaysia.
The humidity, the food, the people...EVERYTHING is a huge, intimidating question mark and I love it. I know that this isn't just a vacation, that it's what I've worked for three years being in GIIP and that this isn't going to be easy work, but I can't help but think of this as a break. One long, tireless, enlightening break.



On another note, Frontline did a piece on Sisters in Islam (SIS). Watching this makes me so excited to work with these amazing women:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/muslims/portraits/malaysia.html



Just counting down the days...

No comments: