Monday, June 30, 2008

Wandering solo

So my first couple days in Malaysia consisted mostly of wandering the streets KL, writing, and eating the most unfamiliar food I could find. These are just random pictures I took during those first few days while I stayed at the YMCA hostel. I didn't take that many pictures at first because I hated looking like a tourist.

This is the National History Museum of Malaysia for which I ran across a freeway. It looks like a nice, big museum but they were doing construction inside. Damn.


A street in Little India. So many people here ride motorcycles...the craziest thing I saw was a guy cradling a baby in his lap while driving a motorcycle. Being in a car is actually not that scary, except people get away with a lot more here than in the States. My coworkers laugh at me for instinctively buckling my seat belt even though I'm in the backseat.


Some street shops in Little India. Every Friday they sell these stringed flowers for people to decorate statues at Hindu Temple, mainly for the Indian community.


Below is a photo of one of the huge malls in KL that sells every international brand you could think of. Hush Puppies, Forever 21, Gucci, GAP, Nike, Jusco, Carrefour, Le Sport, on and on. I get tired just by walking around in one of these because I end up spending hours in them to stay out of the heat outside. AND all pharmaceutical stores has all brands of bathroom product I use in the States, so I really didn't need to stock up on 6 months of everything but...Oh well.


This is one of the really nice parts of KL that is made for international tourists. Wander around the KLCC (Kuala Lumpur City Center) and you'll only find Beamers, Porsches, and Ferrari's...and the fanciest bars and restaurants in the country. I went to a bar with my roommate and paid 32 ringgits for a screwdriver! Which only turns out to be 10 dollars but it's still crazy expensive for Malaysia. Considering that I usually pay 4 to 6 ringgits for most meals.



These are the famous Petronas Towers from below. The tallest towers in the world and the 3rd tallest buildings in the world. They sold out of tickets the day I tried to go up to the skybridge so I went later at night with my new roomie just to take photos. I figure I'll be forced to go when my family visit anyway, so eh.


First blog in a while! I've finally moved in and am mostly settled into my room so I should be writing more consistently.

No comments: